Another arresting architectural presence in Piazza Navona of Rome, located at the junction of the square with Via della Cuccagna, refers to Palazzo Torres Massimo Lancellotti. This palace was built in 1560, on a commission entrusted to Pirro Ligorio. The construction works were, however, completed under the supervision of Carlo Maderno. Under the influence of the latter, the courtyard of the palace assumed the decorative structure it exhibits today. The palace bears the name of the family who had the building erected, that is, the Torres family, of Spanish origin.

The palace features characteristics specific of the architectural trends of the 15th and the 16th centuries. Some of the facade highlights refer to the travertine windows disposed on three orders, but also worthy of attention is the portal flanked by columns. The portal gives access to the courtyard, it too populated by columns and embellished with floral motifs in stucco and bas-reliefs.

Some of the statues which used to be placed in the loggia were moved from Palazzo Torres Massimo Lancellotti in view of safekeeping to the Vatican Museums, but still extant parts of the old decorative patrimony, possible to admire inside the palace, are represented by allegorical frescoes (not exclusively, since some of the friezes also depict landscapes) realized by Agostino Tassi and Guercino.

Name:
Palazzo Torres Massimo Lancellotti (Torres Massimo Lancellotti Palace)
Address:
114, Piazza Navona, 00186, Rome, Italy

114, Piazza Navona, 00186, Rome, Italy

Go to top